Sunday, June 13, 2010

Service Berries and early Lavender...mystery white mulberries, too.

Well, it has sure been a while since I was getting all amped up on there being half-thawed slushy nonsense filling up my swale. I'll have to put up pictures of the clover/gooseberry mini-forest that has populated nicely on said swale. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), crazy.

Today, Jared met up with me to watch the soccer game (go Germany!), and surprised me with a handful of service berries! I have never had these deliciously tiny little berries...and was pleasantly surprised. What was even better, is that they were collected very, very, nearby. We filled up a good part of my purse with these little guys, and I can't wait to make mini pies tomorrow morning (pix or it didn't happen).

THENNNNNNNN we found a lavender bush almost ready to bloom! I impatiently picked some, and although they won't dry as straight as they should, they will still smell wonderful.
THENNNNNNNN we found a mulberry tree...but the twist is - WHITE BERRIES! I felt like I had discovered a new thing. I wasn't adventurous enough to try one, but I was told by my traveling companion that they tasted 'fermented'. He may dispute this one.

So that's the impromptu fun forage party that happened today, I can't wait to get baking and show all y'all what I'm up to.
OH- and 3/4 of the crew (with special honorable guests) were at the Farmer's Market last week- maybe they'd like to tell you about it? Right?

Over and out, pat a pig on the snout.

1 comment:

  1. nice blog! surprised at no comments ~ should interlink it with SEMPG so that you get more traffic for all of your efforts!

    Monica King

    ReplyDelete